Exercising regularly makes the parts of the body healthier and stronger. It’s also a great technique for increasing the flexibility of any specific part of the human body. However, you need to practice some special exercises if it’s about your ankles and feet.
The muscle of the feet isn’t compatible with any random exercise. It can be a disastrous situation if you do any exercise without following the proper regulations. Therefore, you need to acquire proper knowledge of exercises to strengthen your ankles and feet.
Exercises for ankles and feet are highly recommended for injury recovering people. Besides, sportsmen can gain some flexibility and range of motion in their feet. Doing this kind of exercise will also increase your walking and cycling experience.
Why should you strengthen your ankles and feet?
Here you know about some reasons that can convince you to strengthen your ankles and feet.
- Strengthening your ankles and feet helps to increase bone density. The chance of being affected with bone diseases decreases if it’s a strong ankle and feet.
- The natural elasticity of the feet gets developed for regular strengthening exercise. It will help you to perform your feet quickly.
- You can improve your balancing skill by strengthening your ankles and feet. It will prevent you from suddenly falling into the playground.
- The pain and the mobility problem of the ankle usually arise from the tight ankle muscle. Only increasing muscle strength can improve your tight ankle. No alternative to regular exercise exists for increasing muscle strength.
20 exercises to strengthen ankles and feet
This section will reveal the best 20 exercises to strengthen ankles and feet. You need to be regular in your aimed exercise for getting a better result.
1. Raising and curling toe
- Develop the flexibility of your toes.
- The agility of your feet gets increased on a larger scale.
- Take your seat on a chair and place your feet parallel to the floor.
- Raise your heels and hold for 5 seconds.
- Then, lower the heels and raise the toes. Hold the toes also for 5 seconds.
- Repeat it 10 times.
2. Stretching your big toe
- Helps to gain a wide range of motion in your big toe.
- Develops the balancing capability.
- Relieve minor pain from the big toe.
- Sit on a chair and place any of your legs on the thigh of the other leg.
- Move your hand by holding the big toe to the right and left.
- Give some intervals while switching from one side to another.
- Switch to the other big toe and repeat it 10 times for each leg.
3. Ankle pump up
- Increases the ability to move the upward part of the foot.
- Strengthen the muscles of the shin.
- Take a convenient place and place your feet with comfort on the floor.
- Raise and point the toes in the upward direction.
- Hold for 30 seconds in every session and release then.
- Repeat the process maximum of 5 times a day.
4. Ankle pump down
- Develops the plantarflexion ability.
- Strengthen the muscle of the calf.
- Sit on an upper location to point your foot downward.
- Stretch the toes until you feel the flexing of the calf muscles.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Shift to the other leg and repeat it 5 times.
5. Toe splay exercising
- Increase the control over the toe muscles.
- Enhance the feet’ strength.
- Spread the toes keeping a good distance between them after sitting.
- Try to move the toes faster than in the previous session.
- Hold the position for at least 5 seconds.
- Repeat it 10 times a day.
6. Doing toe curls
- Develops the structure of the feet’s flexor muscles.
- Improves overall feet strength.
- Place your feet on a towel and sit in an expedient position.
- Bring the towel toward yourself using your toes.
- Every time put it back to its initial place and move your toes upward.
- You can make it more challenging by placing an obstruction opposite to the towel.
- Repeat it 5 times in a row.
7. Bent knee wall stretch
- Increases muscle fiber.
- Helps to eradicate diseases like muscle atrophy.
- Put your hand on the wall and stand firmly keeping the best distance between the legs.
- Bend your knee of the front leg and move it forward as much as possible.
- Maintain the tension in each session for 30 seconds.
- Release your body and repeat another nine sessions.
8. Straight knee wall stretch
- Develop muscle strength.
- Helps to place your feet with balance.
- Place the hands on the wall and place the front leg in a bent position.
- Keep the heels flat and then press the hips as forward as you can.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds and release. Repeat it as much as you can.
9. Picking up a marble with toes
- Develops the muscle undersides of the feet.
- Increase the toe flexibility.
- Sit on a chair and keep two bowls within your feet range. One should be full of 20 marbles and the other should be empty.
- Pick the marble one by one using one toe and keep it in the empty bowl.
- Repeat it for the other leg.
10. Walking on the sand
- Strengthen the feet and calves.
- Increases the blood circulation on the feet.
- Put your feet on the sand and start walking.
- Step your feet naturally. Notice if your toes and ankles are getting touched with the sand perfectly.
11. Extending toe with your hand
- Prevent plantar fasciitis.
- Increases the blood circulation of the toes.
- Place one thigh on the other thigh after taking a seat.
- Hold the five toes using your hand and pull them.
- Hold the massaging for 10 seconds and exchange the leg.
12. Rolling a tennis ball
- Provides comfort in the arch pain.
- Strengthen the foot’s muscles.
- Put your foot on a tennis ball after sitting somewhere.
- Press the ball down and move it randomly.
- Continue it for 2 minutes and then shift to the other leg.
13. Toe raising
- Develops the calf muscles.
- Stand firmly by capturing something dependable.
- Try to stand on your tiptoes and raise your ankles.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds and then repeat.
14. Plantar fascia massaging
- Develops the connecting tissue of the heel bone and the toes.
- Helps to reduce plantar fasciitis disease.
- Sit with comfort and put one thigh over the other thigh.
- Pull the toes back and massage the end of the feet slowly.
- Give 10 minutes in three sessions every day.
15. Stretching feet with a towel calf
- Assistance for increasing the ankle dorsiflexion.
- Stretches the calf muscles.
- Place your legs in a straight position after sitting on the floor.
- Enfold a towel with the upper portion of your foot.
- Pull the towel back using your hands. Keep pulling for around 30 seconds.
- Move to the other foot after completing one.
16. Massaging with a frozen water bottle
- Provides comfort to the feet.
- Normalize the muscle of the lower feet.
- Place the frozen water bottle on the floor and put your leg on it.
- Roll the bottle from one edge to another edge of your foot.
- Roll one foot for five minutes and then shift to the rest foot.
17. Balancing with the single leg
- Strengthen the ankle muscle.
- Fold a towel and stand with one leg for 1 minute.
- Try another leg and repeat the process.
18. Walk on the pillow train
- Helps to expose the feet-muscle.
- Generate a line by placing some pillows on the floor.
- Walk from one end of the pillows to another and repeat it as much as you can.
19. Drawing the imaginary alphabet using toes
- Increases the movement of your toes.
- Strengthen the toes.
- Amplifies the flexibility of toes.
- Take a convenient position and expand one of your legs.
- Start drawing the alphabets in the air one after another using your toes.
- Once you’re done, switch to the toes of the other leg.
- Try to practice this once a day.
20. Squats on a wobble board
- Develops proprioception and balance.
- Squat down slowly after standing on a wobble board.
- Return to the straight-standing position and repeat it 10 times.
Healthy ankles and feet are every athlete’s and even general people’s dream. Nobody wants to get tired of their feet after walking or bicycling a short way. A weak ankle can be a demotivation for other regular exercises. As a result, people lose their precious health which leads to death quickly.
Exercises to strengthen ankles and feet aren’t difficult at all. A newbie to exercising also can cope with the steps very precisely. From the playground to regular walking- you can feel an additional strength after following our instructions. So, get ready to receive better support from your ankles and feet by investing a fewer effort.